Majority of the people in the world, their body burns sugar, glucose, for energy. The problem with using sugar for energy is it’s like using vegetable oil for your car. It works but it is an inefficient fuel source. The efficient source is when your body is a fat burner, that is when your body uses your fat, ketones for fuel.
A sugar burner many times has a roller coaster of energy during the day. They have a loss of energy around lunch time as well as at night after the day ends. Sugar burners can not control their energy levels throughout the day that's why their forced to use caffeine. They also feel groggy in the morning and as soon as they wake up they crave food. A sugar burner craves food throughout the day and usually has trouble controlling their hunger and instead food controls when they eat not them. A sugar burner needs to eat before exercising or they will not have the energy to produce an effective workout.
Do you control when you eat or does food control when you eat ?
I won't go too much into the science, if you want that you can check the studies. I mainly stick to the reasoning, the why, what and how.
When your blood glycogen is depleted because you deprived your body of carbohydrates, your body has a back up it uses called ketones which comes from fatty acids. Your body takes it to the mitochondria where it is used as fuel and your blood glucose remains normal due to the use of fatty acids and amino acids. As humans we have evolved to use ketones as energy because without it we wouldn’t have survived. It is the reason you can go 40+ days without food. When your body consumes ketones for energy it is put into a state called ketosis. It has been found that ketones are a more efficient fuel source than glucose. Your brain and heart actually seek to use ketones over glucose but most peoples bodies are not primed for it. (1) (2) (3) (4)
There is studies showing reducing carbohydrate intake increases total energy expenditure.
Which is why it is likely that ketosis enhances aerobic capacity and muscular endurance.
Benefits of Ketosis
1. It has been linked to help the brain in cases as Alzheimer’s, and ALS. As well as mood stabilization in bipolar subjects. (5) It has seen to help the brain because your brain wants fat.
2. Studies have shown it can be used to help fight cancer as well. (6)
3. It helps with appetite control and satiety. Because protein and fat are more filling and for longer. Whereas carbohydrates and sugar are easily metabolized and used up quickly. (7)
4. It has been proven to help fight fat loss since sugar and insulin are a big factor for fat and carbohydrates and other sugars raise insulin. When you look at protein which is a thermic food, meaning it takes a lot of energy for your body to consume it. Also fat which enhances your ability to burn fat. (8) (9) (10)
5. A low carb diet has had higher link to body composition and fat loss, and is successful in removing abdominal fat. It helps fight the visceral fat in the abdomen due to insulin, sugar, other hormones and gut bacteria. (11)
6. It Lowers Cholesterol and Triglycerides. Because of the lowering of carbohydrates and increase of healthy fat. Which causes your body to produce HDL instead of LDL. Which in turn can fight many heart and cardiovascular issues or risks. (12) (13) (14)
7. Helps fight Diabetes and Blood Sugar issues. Since both are linked to insulin and glucose that comes from sugar and carbohydrates (15) (16)
8. Helps fight Metabolic syndrome. Which is linked to obesity and all of the many metabolic and hormone issues eating unhealthy can cause. (17) (18)
The reason ketogenic diets are looked down upon are because of ketoacidosis which is when your body is in a high ketone state like Diabetic Ketoacidosis. https://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000320.htm .
The difference is this state is when your beta-hydroxybutyrate levels reach 15 mM or higher, whereas nutritional ketosis your body never goes above 3 mM
Because of these reasons this is why the Navy Seals are using a ketogenic diet. It primes your body for fat loss, and muscle development which will overall increase body composition. It puts your body in an advantaged state using a proper fuel source. That is why several long distance endurance athletes are using this as well because the old model doesn’t work. The run marathons on sugar does not work well.
I’m not here to state it is the end all, for be all diet for everyone. However it can be a solution for you if you ever struggled with weight or body composition. The problem is most people have more than just a calorie in calorie out problem with their body. Due to insulin and blood glucose play in body weight a lot of times many people find themselves with an insulin and metabolic problem. And eating clean and exercising doesn’t always completely solve insulin if not addressed specifically. This is same with cholesterol and triglycerides. Many times the numerous other hormones in our body affect our weight and getting those under control is the major solution. Also when you do not eat healthy you begin to create an unhealthy gut micro biome due to all the bacteria building up from bad food.
Why is Low Carb So Beneficial
It is helpful because at the end of the day carbs in anything that is not fruit, vegetables or fats is turned to sugar very easily. Even some fruit is changed to sugar very easily. Sugar is the problem, sugar should be the wake up call everyone has no matter what. Sugar is not necessary, and it creates an addiction. Sugar is one of the leading causes to weight problems because of insulin, hormones, and the gut. The problem is sugar is in many of the “fake foods” added sugars in sauces, snacks, drinks, and even in grains and starches. The quality of carbohydrates is important. At the end of the day any types of grains or starches such as bread or rice, is easily turned into glucose in our body.
That is why for fat loss, body composition, or just trying to remove stubborn fat ketosis can be beneficial. As well as for some individuals for increased sport endurance it can be a very beneficial diet.
What Do You Eat ?
For true Ketosis it is roughly less than 50g a day of carbohydrates. For weight loss under 100g is the necessary range of carbohydrates. Mark Sisson, in his book Primal Endurance, says that under 150g is a normal eating range for body maintenance.
This means if you are trying to lose any fat at all you should not be eating above 100g.
If you are trying to maintain body weight you should not consume more than 150g.
If you want to achieve full ketosis then you should not reach 50g
Bringing it all together. This means you eat Real Food that is not made or manufactured. It is your vegetables, fruits, nuts, seeds, and meats. This in it of itself has many health benefits. The whole point is you need to DESERVE YOUR CARBS. Carbohydrates are not needed and should not be consumed in excess. If you are over weight or not where you want, you don’t deserve a tons of carbs yet.
Under 50g entails watching your fruits and vegetables. You can not freely indulge in them because they both have carbs. This does not mean to cut them out by any means. Fruits and vegetables are necessary, it’s just understanding how much. This is Nutritional Ketosis and the optimal point for fat loss.
Under 100g of carbohydrates is more freedom in fruits and vegetable amounts but still some restriction. This is the point optimal for proper fat loss.
Low Carbs, Moderate Protein, High Fat
Low Glycemic, Low Starchy Vegetables and Fruits. For example bananas aren’t great because of the high amount of sugar.
Protein. If your not vegan, then any healthy protein source is allowed eggs, chicken, beef, fish even bacon.
Healthy Fats. Avocado’s, Nuts, Seeds, Healthy Oils such as coconut oil, MCT Oil and Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Meat, Eggs and Fish are sources of fat.
My Personal Experimentation with Becoming a Fat Burner
What I noticed doing this is a few remarkable things.
Do you need to do this diet ? I would ask yourself do you want to lose weight ? Then probably yes
Have you ever had trouble losing fat, or keeping it off ? Likely yes
Do you want a healthier body ? Probably yes
Do you have to cut down to 50g of carbs ? If you want to obtain a different body composition. The most important part is lowering carb intake, increase healthy fat intake and eating a good amount of protein.
This ties very well with fasting. It helps food craving and body composition. Check out my prior article on how to fast to help promote fat loss and muscle development
Questions ? Comments ? Your Thoughts ?
Subscribe to my Newsletter below to stay connected and in the loop. You'll also receive my guide for to Help Create the Body you Deserve
Links To Other Resources
1. Podcast with Dominic D'Agostino (Molecular Pharmacology and Physiology, Huge contributor to the study of ketosis. His studieshttp://fourhourworkweek.com/2015/11/03/dominic-dagostino/
2. Podcast with Peter Attia M.D. , Medical Professional, Huge experimenter and researcher of Ketosis. His Site
3. Podcast with Mark Sisson, American fitness author and blogger, and a former distance runner, triathlete and Ironman competitor. Huge proponent of Ketosis and Primal eating. His Site
© COPYRIGHT 2016 & Forward - Andrew Bayon. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.
Please Note: The author of this site is not engaged in rendering professional advice or services to the individual reader. The ideas, procedures, and suggestions contained within this work are not intended as a substitute for consulting with your physician. All matters regarding your health require medical supervision. The author shall not be liable or responsible for any loss or damage allegedly arising from any information or suggestions within this blog. You, as a reader of this website, are totally and completely responsible for your own health and healthcare.